High Holy Day Hunger Project
While we may choose to fast on Yom Kippur, many of our neighbors are simply unable to secure three meals a day.
Please join CSR’s efforts to collect non-perishable items to provide nutritional and helpful support for those less fortunate. Over the past 8 years alone, we have collected 51,100 pounds (25 tons) of items due to your generosity. The Food Bank of Westchester will collect and distribute our contributions to more than 256 food pantries.
This is a wonderful opportunity for families to perform the mitzvah of giving tzedakah. Many thanks from the Social Action committee and from all of the people you will help.
Details for contributions:
· Please pick up a bag on Rosh Hashanah and return it filled with non-perishable food on Saturday, October 4 (Yom Kippur day only).
· Collection will take place outside the main entrance of the Performing Arts Center at Purchase College, where Social Action and synagogue members will be assisting.
· Collection will take place from 8:30 am to 4 pm
· Do not bring glass containers or perishables.
· Baby formula, diapers and toiletry items are also needed.
Anna Marie Small & Charlie Small (Food Drive)
Robin Blum & Richard Steinberg (Social Action)
5th Annual Teen-led Toiletry Drive
Save your hotel toiletries this summer for a good cause. For the fifth year in a row, CSR Teens are collecting toiletries over the High Holy Days.
This year all the toiletries we collect will be delivered along with food and clothing to homeless New Yorkers by COSY (our senior youth group) members at their Midnight Run later in the fall.
In particular, we are in need of and collecting the following new, travel-sized items:
· Soap and body wash
· Shampoo and conditioner
· Toothbrushes and toothpaste
· Razors and shaving cream
Please deposit toiletries in the permanent wooden chest in the synagogue entranceway, as well as in the Purchase College lobby on Yom Kippur.
If you have any questions, please contact our youth advisor, Joslyn DeLancey at COSY@comsynrye.org.
Thank you for supporting this teen-led social action initiative!